A Simple 4-Step Process to Help You Grow Your BlogSep 07, 2021
Developed by Sir John Whitmore in the 1980s, the GROW model has been essential to countless business coaches around the world, and today we’re going to use it as a framework for blogging success.
Goal – What does success look like for you?
Setting a goal seems like a basic thing to do, but it’s not as easy as it seems.
Fail this first step, and you will feel uninspired, restless, and even want to give up.
A few things to keep in mind as you determine your goal:
- What is your blog’s mission? What are you trying to achieve, who are you trying to help? Who is your ideal reader and how do you plan to add value to them? If you were to help them go from point A to point B, what would those points be?
- Your goal closely resembles your blog’s vision. Your vision is exactly what is going to happen once you’ve managed to help all your readers overcome their objections and fears and go from point A to point B.
- You have to be S.M.A.R.T. about the goal you set. To ensure that your goal is achievable, it has to be:
4. You have to clearly understand the ecosystem around your blog’s main niche. This means that you have to do at least a bit of research, so you can better understand what metrics to set.
As an example, don’t set a goal to grow your audience to more readers than the total number of followers of the most popular blog within your niche.
Now that you’ve set a goal, it’s time for the next stage:
Reality – Where are you now?
During this stage in the process, you will spend some time trying to understand your current situation and its relation to your goal.
This means that you might have to run a SWOT analysis of your blog, so you can better understand both your own strengths and weaknesses, but also all external factors that might have an impact on your blog’s future growth.
You are effectively trying to understand just how achievable your goal is, whether you’ve previously tried to reach a similar goal, what you can learn from previous failures, and what internal obstacles might present themselves sometime in the future.
Being acutely aware of both your internal reality and external obstacles will ensure that you are not blindsided by factors that you could have prepared for.
Options – What can help you achieve your goal?
If during the previous stage you’ve run a SWOT analysis of your blog, now you can make use of the strengths and opportunities you’ve discovered.
Think in terms of:
- What steps would you take to achieve your goal?
- What if you could not fail? How would you act?
- What has worked in the past?
- What external factors can you take advantage of?
- If plan A fails, what would plan B look like?
This third stage is all about planning and strategizing a way of action that takes into account your strengths, external factors, and other opportunities.
Just like in a game of chess, you need to be able to anticipate future movements and plan an alternative course of action.
Will – What will you do?
During this fourth and final stage, you need to think of a concrete plan of action.
We’re no longer thinking about possible courses of action, we’re trying to come up with the best way towards us reaching our goal.
Imagine as if you’re walking on a bridge that’s been laid between your reality (where you are now) and your goal (where you want to be.)
No, seriously. This is a good visualization technique.
Now is the time to understand that you need to be committed to taking action, that you need to break down your strategy into actionable steps you can easily act upon on a daily basis.
The GROW model is all about empowering people to:
- Set a clear goal. And, yes, as I previously mentioned, this is important because you simply cannot hit a target that doesn’t exist.
- Build the self-awareness that is required to reach said goal.
This framework doesn’t offer you the right answers, but much like the best frameworks around, it helps you ask the right questions that will help you find your way towards success.
This article is put together from resources that are part of our bestselling course, From 0 to 5,000 Readers in 6 Months.
If you’re serious about blogging, enrolling in this course is the best investment you can make!
Click here to read more about the course.
We've put together a bundle of 5 resources proven to help aspiring bloggers. Enter your email to join our community and receive the Growth Kit.
Join 42,000+ ambitious bloggers